Before asking for my letter I request that you commit to follow all guidelines and requirements for your program as your participation reflects more broadly on me and Amherst College.
If we have met and agreed that I will write a recommendation for you, please email me the following at least two weeks (and ideally four weeks) before the first letter is due:
Responses to the following questions:
- What is your name, year, and major?
- For what are you applying? (scholarship, graduate school, etc.)
- List the programs to which you are applying, together with due dates. Please be specific about how recommendations will be submitted.
- How long have I known you, and what is my relationship(s) to you? (instructor, advisor, etc.)
- For what class(es) have I had you, what final grade(s) did I assign you, and how did you distinguish yourself in my class(es)?
- Please choose four adjectives that you think describe you well and provide a brief self-recommendation.
- What are some of your academic accomplishments?
- What are some of your nonacademic accomplishments (if any)?
- What makes me particularly qualified to write a letter for you?
- What makes you particularly qualified for this position/honor/award?
- What are your long term goals?
- Additional comments (REU’s, summer research, interesting jobs, hobbies, etc.)?
- a copy of your transcript (unofficial is fine),
- a copy of your personal statement (if applicable),
- a copy of your resume or CV (if you have one), and
- all necessary forms and/or login information for application
Please be sure to send me e-mail reminders as deadlines approach, and feel free to chat with me about other ways you can make the letter writing process go as smoothly as possible for you and your letter writers. Good luck!
Derived from a similar page created by Michael Orrison in the Department of Mathematics at Harvey Mudd College